Friday, September 12, 2014

Unemployed Burger Biker with No Bike or Money to Go Out for Burgers...

I never claimed to be a professional blogger, so I feel no shame for letting this blog go after only 5 posts! Whatever.

I've recently (and by "recently" I mean at the beginning of the summer) found myself unemployed (and by "found myself" I mean I quit my job!) Needless to say, I have a lot of time on my hands. I spent most of the summer traveling around, because when you're unemployed and have a limited income what better is there to do than spend it all traveling up and down the east coast!

I got back from my last trip of the summer on August 16th and have spent the time since then looking for jobs. Here's a little rundown of what my job search routine has been:

  • Filling out my name, address, phone number, email, education and job history, references, and skills on about 1,000 different websites on the slim chance that the company actually uses the internet to fill positions and not employee recommendations or hiring from within!
  • Checking about 8 different job websites to see if any new jobs have been posted and if I'm even loosely qualified for a job, send in my application. Luckily on these sites the info listed in the previous bullet is saved, so I only have to tweak things!
  • Writing cover letters: I hate them and they hate me.
  • Googling what jobs teachers can do that have nothing to do with teaching. Slim pickins.
  • Rewriting my resume eight different ways so that I can show that I do have experience with customer service, or with libraries and not just babysitting all day. Cause lets be honest, I'm pretty sure that's what most people think teachers do, but don't get me started.
  • Informing every person I come into contact with that I am no longer an Elementary School teacher, have no real idea what I'd like to do (Librarian? Publishing? Farmer?), but that I'll pretty much take any job that will pay my bills and I don't have to go back to school for!
Now, there is only so much time you can spend on job searching, and with 24 hours in each day (fact of the day), I find that I have quite a bit of time left over. Here are some things I do in between the hundreds of interviews I go on:

  • Puzzles! Specifically one puzzle that is really difficult for two main reasons. All of the pieces are basically three colors: green, brown or blue; and because we play DnD every week (I know, NERD) and we only have one table big enough for either, I keep having to put away my carefully organized pieces. Sorting puzzle pieces is starting to take up a lot of my time, but putting them in plastic bags so they stay sorted just seems like a bigger commitment to a puzzle than I'm ready for yet.
  • Brewing Polyjuice Potion (double NERD! Really triple NERD considering in the last bullet I mentioned puzzles and DnD). I'm not even going to explain this one because if you're not familiar, we probably aren't friends anyway.
  • Reading - I'd love to say that I've been catching up on lots of profound reading I haven't had time to focus on before, but really I've been mostly reading teen dystopia novels. I did read Unbroken and am currently reading Emma so I feel like that balances it out, right?
  • Going to the gym? Maybe. Sometimes. At the very least I'm not showering until later in the day just in case I end up going...
  • Destroying the world. Well, ok, just on my iPad. Cory introduced me to the game Plague, Inc. and it's possible that I have gotten very excited about destroying the human population with a little virus (or bacteria, or parasite or nano-virus) I like to call SuperViru (or SuperBac or SuperPara or SuperNano). So I'm not very creative with the names and I play on the easiest setting, but I can pretty much destroy the world in 20 minutes.
  • Organizing our apartment - I'm a little bit of a pack rat and I've been told it's very freeing to scale back and not have so much stuff, so I'm attempting to go through everything in our apartment and throw or give away things we haven't used in a while. This mostly means getting rid of all of the birthday, holiday (yes, Easter and Halloween, too) and just because cards that I've saved my entire life. Seriously, my mom sends a card every holiday of the year and some of them just say "Happy St. Patrick's Day! Love, Mom and Dad" and I still have them. Well now they're in the recycling bin. I'm working up the courage to actually take the recycling out one of these days.
Honestly though, I shouldn't complain considering I have it a much better than a lot of people. But for real, if you know of any jobs out there, I promise I can do it whatever it is!

6 comments:

  1. I play a lot of Plague, Inc. and always name it SARS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I'll play a game you haven't played yet and it will be the best day ever!

      Delete
  2. You can not name a virus SuperNano. I'm super Nan O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry, Mom! I'll never do it again!

      Delete
    2. Also, I promise I've been more productive than it may seem on this blog...

      Delete
  3. I guess we're not friends :(
    - Beth

    ReplyDelete