Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Arrival of Lilberg

I'm finally a Burger Biker instead of walker or driver! I decided for my first actual Burger Biker adventure I would meet my friend Sandy at Carytown Burgers and Fries. Sandy has been equally enthusiastic about Burger Biking, but is only just joining me because she's been planning and having her wedding and honeymoon for the last two weeks! Sandy has dubbed herself Lilberg, and will be joining me a lot in the future! Here we are at her family's house in Smithfield on the rivah.


Now I haven't ridden a bike regularly since I was about 12, so riding a bike I'm not familiar with through the city of Richmond made me a little wary. First challenge, however, was getting the bike out of the apartment. If you've visited Cory and I, you'll know what a problem this is. We live on the third floor of an apartment building with high ceilings.


The hardest part was holding the bike on the stairs with one hand, while trying to open the doors with the other. It was not graceful. Once I got on the bike, things went a little bit better.  I had Googled the directions to Carytown Burgers to give myself an idea of how long it should take me. The directions said it would take me about 15 minutes. This seemed reasonable to me. How quickly I learned my lesson. The gears need some work, so I was a little nervous about trying to change gears, even though they were stuck in the gear that makes it really hard to pedal. About half way through I decided that being able to walk the next day was worth trying to change to a lower gear, only to have the chain fall off and get stuck. After about 10 minutes of trying to find where it was stuck and then finally pulling the chain out and getting it in the right place again, I was back on the road! Only to realize that I had ridden to Burger Bach (another Carytown burger place), not Carytown Burgers and Fries. I guess I should have looked at the directions rather than just the time. Luckily Carytown Burgers was just around the corner.

I'm not sure what Sandy must have thought when I pulled up twenty minutes late. I was SO sweaty. And coming from the wrong direction. I also realized that I didn't have a bike lock. Needless to say, I was ready for a burger. Sandy went with a basic bacon cheeseburger and I went with "The Smoky," which had BBQ sauce, grilled onions and pickles. We got beers, found a seat where we could keep an eye on the bike and waited for our burgers while I tried to cool down and dry off. Once the burgers came, I was starving and even though Sandy and I had talked about the right way to reheat a leftover burger from a restaurant, I knew I would eat the whole thing. With that said, this was the biggest burger I've had so far. It didn't even fit in the little cardboard boat they put it in. The BBQ sauce was perfectly tangy, the onions were smooth and not stringy and the pickles gave it just the right amount of crunch. I devoured the whole thing.


Like the paper says, it was delicious. Here I am eating my last bite.


Two giant burgers (Sandy was good and decided to half of hers home), two baskets of fries, six beers and 20 napkins later, we decided to walk back to Sandy's apartment and start the second part of our summer together - day drinking and watching Scandal. All in all a great day for Burger Biker and Lilberg.

PS I'm not sure why the comments haven't been working. I've tried a couple different things and still nothing. I'll have Cory take a look and hopefully they'll be back up soon! Sorry!

PPS I thought getting the bike out of the apartment was going to be the hard part, forgetting that I'd soon have to get the bike back into the apartment using those same stairs. UGH.

2 comments:

  1. I really love these adventures. After a long, tough bike ride, you need burgers & beer for fuel!

    ReplyDelete